DNREC’s Division of Watershed Stewardship, Nonpoint Source Program is looking for striking photographic images of Delaware’s waterways, landscapes, native plants and animals, and agricultural practices.
How to Enter
Complete the submission form here. Images must be at least 1650 by 2100 pixels (no larger than 10MB) resolution and the digital image must be submitted in .jpeg or .png format. Only photos that meet the criteria along with the completed submission form will be eligible. The required submission form includes: entrant’s name, phone number, address, email address, the location the image was taken, the category the photograph is being entered in, and if submitting a photograph in the Native Wildlife or Native Plant category – the name of the species.
Photographs must have been taken by the entrant before the contest deadline of June 2, 2019.
- Your images must be taken within the state of Delaware.
- Entrants must not submit images that involve the willful harassment of wildlife, damage to the environment by the photographer, or infringe on the rights of any other photographer or person. Entrants must minimize disturbance of wildlife and habitats. Judges will disqualify photographs of any animal appearing to be stressed from being trapped or mishandled.
- All photographs should accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared. Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization (removal of dust, cropping, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.) will be disqualified.
- Photographs may not include weapons, discernable people, names, signatures, logos or other identifying marks.
- The photograph must be original and it, or any substantially similar one, may not have been published, nor have won, or currently entered in any other contest. The entrant must own all rights to the photograph, including copyright. No photographs previously entered in the 2018 Delaware Watersheds Photo Contest will be accepted.
Your images may show animal behavior, portraits of wildlife in natural habitat, plant life, natural landscapes, waterscapes, and agricultural practices in Delaware. For the purposes of this contest, “native” should mean “indigenous to the area it was taken.” You may enter photographs in all or any of the five categories below (you must submit the completed submission form for each photograph you enter) but photographers can only win one place per category. Your photograph with the most votes will be your final submission for that category.
- Natural Landscapes of Delaware–Photographs of the scenic visible features of Delaware’s countryside or land.
- Waterscapes of Delaware – Photographs of any waterbodies such as streams, rivers, lakes, creeks, estuaries, bays, ocean, etc. in Delaware.
- Native Wildlife of Delaware — Photographs of domesticated animals are not eligible for this category and this category may include pictures of live native mammals, birds, fish, insects, reptiles, and amphibians of Delaware. When submitting in this category, include the name of the species in the submission form.
- Native Plants of Delaware – Photographs of Delaware native plants in any setting. When submitting in this category, include the name of the species in the submission form. No wildlife including insects are permitted in this category, native plants only.
- Agriculture in Delaware – Photographs of the practice of farming, including but not limited to the cultivation of soil for growing crops and rearing animals for food, wool, and other products in Delaware.
Entries must be received by June 2, 2019, 11:59 pm EDT when the contest ends. DNREC shall not be responsible for late/incomplete entries or entries that have not followed the guidelines. DNREC reserves the right to adjust any deadline(s) as the result of causes beyond immediate control.
Eligibility and Judging
This contest is open to legal residents of the United States at the time of entry. The contest is open to photographers of all ages and skill levels. DNREC judges will determine entries that will proceed to online public voting. The public will determine finalists and winners of each category. First, second, and third-place finalists will be on display at the 2019 Delaware State Fair. Fairgoers will vote to determine the “Best in Show.”
All finalists will be notified by phone or email. If, in DNREC’s opinion, there is any suspected or actual evidence of tampering with or alteration of any portion of the contest, or for any other reason, DNREC reserves the right to terminate the contest.
The first place winners of each category will receive a DE State Park pass for 2020. The finalists of each category will be invited to attend the annual DNREC Awards ceremony on Governor’s Day at the Delaware State Fair where they will be announced. The photograph that receives “Best in Show” at the fair will appear in Outdoor Delaware magazine.
Terms and Conditions
By entering the contest, entrants grant DNREC a royalty-free, world-wide, perpetual, nonexclusive license to display, distribute, reproduce, and create derivative works of the entries, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or subsequently developed, for any DNREC purpose, including, but not limited to advertising and promotion of DNREC in print, its web site, and its publications. Any photograph reproduced will include a photographer credit. DNREC will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such uses. DNREC has final approval of any language that appears on its website with any of the photos and will not promote or endorse third-party products or services.
By entering this contest, the entrant further agrees to these official rules. By entering, participants agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless DNREC, its affiliates, employees, volunteers and representatives, from any and all third party liability for any injuries, loss, claim, action, demand or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the competition (collectively, “Losses”), including without limitation any third party claim for copyright infringement or a violation of an individual’s right to privacy and/or publicity right. The contest is void where prohibited by law.
You agree that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved with DNREC, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action. DNREC is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by website users or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the photo competition, or by any technical or human error that may occur in the processing of submissions to the photo competition, including but not limited to any misprints or typographical errors. DNREC assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. DNREC is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer equipment, servers, providers, computer on-line systems, software, or failure of email on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, including injury or damage to participant’s or to any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participating or sending images or information in the photo contest.
Questions and inquiries about contest rules can be emailed to Photo Contest (email@example.com) or call 302-739-9922.
To view, print or share the flyer click here.